Saturday, December 30, 2006

Speed gluing the glass plate method

After the tip from my mate JC, I tried this method of speed gluing with my Tibhar Rapid Clean Delux long lasting glue:

Brush the glue onto the sponge, then stick it onto a glass plate. This ensures that all the vapours go into the sponge and don't evaporate into the air. You can do this for both rubbers if you're gluing both sides. Cover the rubbers with another glass plate to give it some pressure. After about 1 hour, take it off. If you wish to add more layers, repeat the process. Then glue the rubber onto your blade and clamp overnight.

Well I tried it today and there was a very obvious increase in effect. It was definitely a fair bit faster. To be sure I glued up 2 rubbers that I use regularly, and I found the same in both. In fact I found them both to be too fast for my liking, so next time I'll use less glue to get it to the speed that I like. The rubber I used (Globe 999 National version) are already very spinny, so I could not say if there was an increase in spin or not. The sponges certainly felt a little softer than normal as well.

I think this method will work very well for priming the rubber as well. I always found that even after priming, rubber don't peak in performance until the 2nd gluing, so hopefully this method will help there too.

No comments: